Marble Falls High School student wins 1st place in local and District VFW Auxiliary art competitions
Megan Matcek, Marble Falls High art student, won 1st place in the 2019 VFW Auxiliary #10376 Patriotic Art competition. Subsequently, her art won 1st place at the VFW
District #14 judging, in competition with six other district auxiliary submissions. Her art has now advanced to the Texas VFW Auxiliary Department [State] level for judging.
If she places 1st at the state level, her art would move up to the VFW Auxiliary National level. Her success thus far has resulted in modest monetary awards. However,
the first eight places at the 2019 national level will participate in $29,500 in scholarship monies.
Additional Information About This Art Competition
Who is Eligible to Apply in 2020?
• Any student in grades 9-12 who is enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or
home study program in the United States.
• Maximum student age of 18 at time of local entry.
• Student must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.
• Applicant does not have to be related to a VFW or VFW Auxiliary member to participate, but the student must attend school in the same state as the sponsoring VFW Auxiliary.
What is the Scholarship Amount?
• The first-place winner from each state competes for national awards totaling $29,500.
What are the Scholarship Submission Requirements?
• Two-dimensional art must be on canvas or paper. Watercolor, pencil, pastel, charcoal, tempera, crayon, acrylic, pen, ink, oil, marker or other media taught may be used.
• Do not frame two-dimensional pieces.
• Submit canvas entries on a stretcher frame or canvas board. Other entries must be matted in white. Do not use color mats. Reinforce the back with heavy paper. Mounted and floating mats may also be used.
• The art should be no smaller than 8” x 10” but no larger than 18” x 24”, not including mat.
• Three dimensional art can be paper, papier-mâché, pottery, clay, metal work, fabric, etc.
• Pieces should be no smaller than 8” in any direction and no larger than 24” in any direction.
• Art cannot be more than 5 lbs. in weight.
• Digital art, photography and jewelry are NOT ACCEPTED.
• Complete entry form and attach to back of entry.
• Submit a typed explanation of patriotism expressed in art (150 words or less)
What are the Scholarship Contest Deadlines?
• March 31: Student Entry Deadline to Local VFW Auxiliary.