Notice of Intent to Apply for Federal Funds and Request for Public Comment
The Marble Falls Independent School District (ISD) is applying for the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief III (ESSER III) Federal grant for funding. These federal funds were appropriated to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for public education purposes under the ARP Act through the ESSER III fund.
ARP ESSER III Overview: The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021, Public Law 117-2, was enacted on March 11, 2021. The ARP Act provides additional funding for school districts to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Education portion of ARP is known as the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III or ARP ESSER) Fund.
General grant specifics are as follows:
- Grant Timeframe: Grant expires September 30, 2023. If needed, districts can carry over unused funds and be allowed to continue spending until September 30, 2024.
- Districts will be required to follow all federal, state, and local regulations and requirements for federal grant administration and fiscal spending of funds.
- The Marble Falls ISD has been allocated $6,204,108 (estimate) – to be expended over a 3-year period.
- Initial Allocation (two-thirds): $4,136,072
- Remaining Allocation (one-third): $2,068,036
- Total Allocation Amount: $6,204,108
- Learning Loss minimum to be spent: $1,240,822
ARP ESSER Purpose: The purpose of the ARP ESSER III fund is to address learning loss and support the safe reopening and sustaining safe operations of schools while meeting students’ academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. The program funds also are allowable to be used for other areas related to COVID-19 issues such as retaining employees, operational needs of the school district due to COVID-19 issues, and teacher support. These funds address the impact that COVID-19 has had, and continues to have, on elementary and secondary schools. ARP ESSER III grant funds were issued for one-time or short-term types of expenditures to address the identified needs caused by the pandemic. Although long-term uses of the ARP ESSER III funds are also allowable, the Marble Falls ISD makes no assumptions that the state will provide replacement funds for ARP ESSER III in future years.
Marble Falls ISD Tentative Plan for ARP ESSER III Funding:
- Provide student academic support
- Targeted interventions
- Targeted tutoring
- More time for learning opportunities in the summer and after school
- Student social and emotional support
- Providing rigorous instructional materials designed to help teachers, schools, and parents re-engage students.
- Supporting teachers with the training, resources and coaching to accelerate student learning.
- Empowering parents through additional counseling services, parent leadership training, and wrap-around and community partnerships.
- Other supports to include COVID-19 safety measures.
General Specifics on the Grant are as follows:
- Timeframe for the grant: Pre-award costs can be recoded from March 13, 2020 and districts are allowed to spend funds until September 30, 2023. If needed, districts can carry over unused funds and be allowed to continue spending until September 30, 2024.
- Districts will be required to follow all federal, state, and local regulations and requirements for federal grant administration and discal spending of funds.
- District entitlement for the grant for the 3-year period: $6,204,108
Marble Falls ISD is required to post 2 plans in regards to the use of ESSER III funds. The two plans are linked below. The plans will be reviewed and revised (if necessary) every six months.
Uses of Funds Plan - To Be Posted August 16, 2021
Public Notification and Comments: Your input and comments are requested to help Marble Falls ISD determine how to prioritize spending of the ARP ESSER III funds.
The survey results will be reviewed monthly and at the six month review meeting.
Marble Falls ISD’s final plan will reflect student and staff needs and incorporate public input and comments.
For more information, please contact the District ESSER III contact:
Yarda Leflet, Executive Director of Instructional Services, by phone at (830) 798-3654 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org